Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Formations


Camp G2LOW is a program put on throughout many Peace Corps countries. It stands for Girls and Guys Leading Our World. Here in sunny Burkina Faso, the upcoming summer will host the third round of these excellent opportunities for the youth to come and be empowered. This is kind of my thing. Thus, I’ll be financial director for this week-long camp taking place in my regional capital. Good thing I’ve had a bit of experience with managing donations and file-keeping! (Shout out to Prattsville, NY here. I hope you all weathered Sandy…)

Each volunteer in the region works with their village to send 5-6 + kids to this camp. I think at ours, we would like to host 70 all-together. It’s necessary to provide lodging and food for the students during this time. During the camp, we put on sensibilizations, teach songs, play sports, and do all that good, old-fashioned campy stuff. Really, the main focus is promoting the girls to be more confident and engaged in their community. Burkina Faso has made it a priority to change long-standing attitudes and ideas about women that keeps them from reaching their full potential. Also, we teach the guys to accept and promote the girls in their village as well. It is crucial for the men to be involved in this process if there will, indeed, be a change.

I will be at a formation for planning this camp, a formation for my IT committee, and a 2-week training for my group of new volunteers all in December. Goodbye site- I’ll miss you... Basically, December gone be CRAY. Of course, after that I’ll be submitting grades (yeah, my students basically get a 2 week reprieve from Math class) and then celebrating Christmas with my community and New Years with the Americans. Hopefully I’ll be able to host some other volunteers who will be passing through during winter break to visit!
We shall see.

Things which are normal for me now…
                Eating sauce with my hands
                Goats and pigs on my porch
                Abandoning all thought of the absolutely complex idea of queuing
                Speaking only in French for weeks at a time
                Being given babies to hold in my lap because there’s not enough space in the van to fit everyone
                Taking 4 hours to prepare afternoon tea
                Clicking my tongue to signal affirmation
                Being able to tell random kids to do errands for me whenever I want
                … and so much more! I just can’t remember what is bizarre for Americans right now…

1 comment:

  1. Matt, you are a true BFPCV. I can't do the tongue thing...

    ReplyDelete