Saturday, November 3, 2012

La Grève

Ok. It's been some time, no? Let's cut to the brass tacks.

Strikes. If you all know me as well as I think you may or may not know me, you would know that I don't know how I feel about strikes. Did you all follow that? Good. I admire when people take a stand to combat injustices and, to quote Holden Caulfield (shudder), I really do. However, I'm not a fan if innocents get hurt in the process. But let us move forward objectively.

Here, if something happens that gains national notoriety, from time to time the students from university level down to junior high will go on strike. This involves simply not going to school for two days. Yesterday, I was teaching one class when suddenly the class exploded into yelling and people trying to look outside the classroom. I was surprised- this particular class was normally very well behaved. Eventually I was told to let the class out into the courtyard and that I should just hang out with the other teachers and have some coffee. Apparently, some students from another school showed up and got some of our students to simply leave. Eventually an official representative of a university came to explain to the students the reason for the strike, classes were canceled, and everyone went home.

Nothing else is done during the strike- no protests, etc. Somehow the idea got out that the best way of combating injustice was to limit one's education. And that's what I'll say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment