Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sick Pt. 2

So you might be wondering what a typical day is like for me right now. (Let you remind you that I still have five more weeks of training until I'm at my true site to work.)

Well! I wake up at 6 each morning well after the rest of my host family. This morning, my mother has been roasting peanuts outside my little apartment room for an hour already. I exercise a bit in my room and then head out to get water in my bucket from the giant pots in the courtyard. We always try to keep these full by using the pump, a five minute walk. I take a bucket bath and my sister brings me tea and bread and butter when I have changed. I brush my teeth, lock up my room, and I ride the 20 minutes to the FDC training center for classes. One day I did it during a torrential downpour. Rainy season!

At the center the 33 Education volunteers and sometimes the 10 daba peeps will sit in on a security lecture or other topic. There are also a ton of language classes. I was in Inter-low and have just moved up to Inter-mid in my French. Inter-high is passing for the peace corps by the end of training and frankly I'm impressed with myself about my progress. In these classes, we basically talk non-stop about various topics or play a game. We've done truth or dare and debated capital punishment. En Francais.

After 4 2 hr classes, we're free! Sometimes we'll hang out at a local restaurante, swap media, read, or go home to our host families. When we've done that, we bucket bath again, eat our riz sauce or riz gras and talk with our families until we pass out. I sometimes break out the harmonica. Yeah.

And that's a typical day! Next week I think I'll focus on the foods.                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment